Page 3 of 5

December 2017

Buzz Farm, Venice, FL

Buzz Farm, late of Syracuse, Indiana and Venice, Florida passed away peacefully at home with his  family by his side on December 22, 2017 at age 83.  Buzz epitomized what all handball players should be about.  He flat-out loved the game  and it was a major part of his life.  He was what handball  tournaments should be about – the average player who loved  to participate regardless of the outcome.  He played with passion.   He will be sadly missed by all who knew him, especially the members of the Sarasota Handball Club.   Our condolences to his family.
-Kit Peterson

November 2017

Dell Mora, Santa Barbara, CA

Dell Mora was born May 25, 1930 and passed away November 23, 2017.  He was 87.  He had many things wrong with his body, mainly his inability to produce red, white cells & platelets and was home in hospice care.

He grew up in Santa Barbara & was a an outstanding multi-sport athlete at Santa Barbara High School.  In addition, he was an integral part of the backfield on the team that went to the 1949 CIF football championship.

For 40 years, Dell was involved in the heating/air conditioning business as a sheet metal worker.   At a late age (40), he began playing 4-wall handball resulting in 15 national championships.  He was also inducted into the Southern California Handball Association Hall of Fame and was a USHA Grand Master.  Dell’s national titles (singles and doubles) were from the span of 1980 to 1998.

A message of condolence from Randy Multack (Bellvue, WA):

I spent quite a bit of time visiting Dell and his wife Jean up in Santa Barbara over the past 5-6 years, and here are a few thoughts I have about Dell, who was a very good friend of mine, even though we were a generation apart in years.

Dell was a guy who had polio as a kid and wasn’t supposed to walk again.  He not only walked, but he ran, and he became one of the best and most celebrated high school athletes to come out of Santa Barbara at his time.  He set numerous track and field records that went unbroken for many years, in addition to being an All-Star in football and playing other varsity sports.  He went on to a great career in handball, playing in the finals of 20 national singles and doubles tournaments and winning 15 of them, even though he didn’t start playing the game until he was in his later 30’s.

Dell Mora was a force to be reckoned with, both on and off the court.  He was the life of most parties, and he did love to party.  There were some legendary ones at his house in Santa Barbara after the Semana Nautica handball tournaments.  No one loved a good time more than Dell.

Dell lived a very full life and lived it on his terms.  He was as stubborn as they come and he was also one tough sonofabitch.  But he also had a softer side which not many people ever got to see (especially those he played against) and he loved people.  His best times were being with people and having a few drinks.  Captain Morgan was a good friend of his.

Dell certainly left his mark on the world of those who knew him.  I loved him and I’ll miss him, as will most who were part of his large circle of friends.  Santa Barbara won’t be quite the same for me anymore.

Safe travels, Dell – I’ll miss you.

Henry (“Hank”) Charles Schniepp, Albuquerque, NM

June 30, 1952 – November 21, 2017.  Hank was the beloved husband of Susan Schniepp (nee Dawe) and a loving father to Martha and Anna. Hank was the grounding influence and touchstone of family love to his daughters and wife throughout his life. Hank was a loyal brother, a companion to his relatives, and a helpful friend.

Hank was born in Illinois and a graduate of the University of Illinois. His career was in the pharmaceutical industry which led him to working in different regions of the country ultimately leading him to choose Albuquerque, New Mexico as the place to retire. He invited people to visit because he was happy to be where snow was measured in scant inches not feet.

In Albuquerque he was an avid handball player and was able to enjoy golf year-round. His last job allowed him the chance to be home more often to soak up the New Mexico sun.

Hank’s passing was unexpected. He will be greatly missed by his family and friends.

Louis Iannettoni, Jamesville, NY

Louis Iannettoni, 93, of Jamesville, passed away Saturday, November 4, at Upstate Hospital with his family by his side. He was born in Philadelphia and has been a resident of the Syracuse area most of his life. Louis was a graduate of Michigan Tech University which gave him the opportunity to own his own company, Meloon Foundries in Syracuse for 45 years.

Louis was an avid handball player and had been a lifetime member of the YMCA for over 50 years, where he made many lifelong friends. He was inducted into the Foundry Hall of Fame as a Charter Member and recently inducted into the North High School Hall of Fame. He was an accomplished violinist and especially enjoyed playing in church.

Louis was predeceased by his wife of 69 years, Mary Amellio Iannettoni and son, Michael J. Iannettoni. Survivors include his sons, L. James (Dolores) Iannettoni and Mark (Ann) Iannettoni, M.D.; beloved grandchildren, Andrea (James) Carlton, Christopher Iannettoni, Andrew (Alicia) Iannettoni and Timothy (Shannon) Iannettoni; sister, Lucy Amellio; several great-grandchildren, nieces and nephews.

Contributions may be made to the Teen Challenge of CNY, 124 Furman St., Syracuse, NY 13205

October 2017

Randy Wolfe, West Lawn, PA

Randy E. Wolfe, 56, of West Lawn, passed away unexpectedly on Thursday, October 26, 2017.  Born in Harrisburg, he was the son and stepson of John I. and Diane J. (Leibensperger) Wolfe, Perry Twp., and son of the late Nancy A. (Ketner) Wolfe.

Randy was a 1978 graduate of Schuylkill Valley High School and graduated from Shippensburg University.  In his younger years, he attended Lutheran Church of the Lutheran Trinity, Leesport.  Randy owned and operated Dry Masters Carpet Cleaning of Lehigh Vally.

He loved playing handball. Randy was a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Pirates.  He was a loving son and a friend to everyone. Randy will be sadly missed by many.

Surviving in addition to his parents are his siblings, Roger A. Wolfe, and his companion Darlene, N.Y., Ronda K. Wolfe, Muhlenberg Twp.; and two nephews, Chad and Clayton.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be sent to Northern Berks EMS, 26 E. Wall St., P.O. Box 625, Leesport, PA 19533, or Union Fire Co. No.1 of Leesport, 18 E. Wall Street, P.O. Box 777, Leesport, Pa 19533.
For online condolences, please visit,

A message of condolence from Joe Thomas (Reading, PA):
Randy was the official and unofficial chair of handball in the region, the go-to for finding games, running tournaments, and supporting the game at all levels and for all ages. He was an energetic ambassador for handball and the driving force for tournaments in Eastern PA, including running the USHA National Masters Doubles tournament in Allentown in 2010. Randy loved the game and played regularly, indoor and out. He began playing while attending Shippensburg University. He was an intelligent player with two good hands, and developed some creative shots to compensate for limited mobility from a bad leg. Randy had a great sense of humor and never a malicious word for or about anyone, though he was full of good-natured caustic chatter on the court for opponents or even partners. A favorite was after his own good shot saying to himself, but meaning to be heard, “Easy game, Randy, easy game.” He was much loved and appreciated and will be greatly missed.

September 2017

Martin (Marty) Patrick Sammon, Jr., Santa Clara, CA

Marty passed away after a brief illness on Thursday, September 14. Marty was born in Steubenville, Ohio on May 30, 1934 to Martin and Catherine. His family moved to California and settled in Newark, CA where he graduated from Washington High School. He went on to Santa Clara University (SCU) where he graduated in 1956. He later earned his MBA from SCU in 1963.

He met the love of his life while attending a mixer at SCU. He married Rosemarie in May of 1957. Their honeymoon was a cross-country drive to Fort Campbell, Kentucky where he was a member of the 101st Airborne Division. He was part of the team that was called to Little Rock, Arkansas to protect the “Little Rock Nine”. He maintained contact with Melba Beals, Minnijean Brown and Terence Brown for many years. After serving his country, he and Rosemarie came back to California. They settled in Santa Clara, where they raised their two daughters and son and where Rosemarie still resides. Marty became a stock broker and worked up until his recent retirement.

Marty’s true passion was boxing. After retiring the gloves in college, he still had the itch to be in the ring, so what better option than to become a referee. He started by referring the inmates at San Quentin. He went on to referee and judge multiple amateur and professional bouts. Marty appeared as a boxing referee in an episode of “Midnight Caller”, but perhaps his most famous on-screen role was as boxing referee #5 in the Academy Award winning picture “Million Dollar Baby”. He also appeared in a Northern California Honda commercial. He continued to be a member of the Screen Actors Guild.

While the role of a boxing referee was one of many highlights in his life, his most cherished role was that of grandfather. He went to as many activities as he possibly could, whether it be soccer games, birthday parties or just spending time every Thursday with Emily. Marty leaves behind his wife of 60 years, Rosemarie, his daughters Sharon and Lisa, sons-in-law, Rick and Eric and his three grand-daughters: Stephanie, Katherine (Katie) and Emily, two sisters (Cathy and Lyn) and many nieces and nephews. Marty has joined his brother Roddy and his son Michael in heaven. May he now rest in peace.

The family would like to thank the amazing care team at the Palo Alto VA Hospital.  In lieu of flowers, please consider making a donation to your local VA Hospital.

Bob Sanchez, Albuquerque, N.M.

Bob Sanchez was born on December 23, 1929 to Manuel and Felicitas Sanchez and was raised in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He passed away too soon on September 22, 2017. Bob graduated from Albuquerque High School, University of New Mexico for his undergraduate degree, and dental school at Northwestern University in Chicago, Illinois. Bob served in three branches of the military. He first served in the Naval Reserves while attending UNM, he went for officer’s training in the PLC Program (Platoon Leader Class) of the Marine Core while attending Northwestern. After dental school he became part of the Army Dental Core.

Bob met Eleanor “Ellie” Fleming in Chicago while he was attending Northwestern and she was working in Chicago. After his graduation, they married and immediately left for his tour of duty in Germany. They returned to Albuquerque, New Mexico in 1960 and opened his dental practice. Bob and Ellie had five children: Dr. Robert Sanchez and wife, Lianne; Linda Sanchez; Dr. Gary Sanchez and wife, Julie; Dr. Greg Sanchez and wife, Kate; Dr. Leslie Sanchez-Goettler and husband Drew. Their grandchildren are Jasmine, Reed, Bella, Jacqueline, Ben, Will, Jordan and Sophia. Bob provided a wonderful life for his family. He was a supportive father who always encouraged his children to “get ahead and stay ahead” and “get a good education.” His children were his number one priority and he loved spending time with them. He took them and their friends on many adventures to Elephant Butte Lake, snow skiing, and other fun trips throughout the years.

Besides his family, Bob’s lifelong passion was sports: handball, The UNM Lobos and the Dallas Cowboys. He built Tom Young’s Athletic Club in the 70’s to share his passion with Albuquerque. After returning, Bob and Ellie got to do some well-earned traveling. They had friends all over the world. Later in Life, Bob took great care of Ellie as her health declined. He took her to the VA hospital three times a week so she could play the piano and he would entertain the veterans. He loved to meet new people and share his life with others. Bob always had a joke or story to tell. He was a kind and generous man.

In lieu of flowers please donate to the American Cancer Society or Alzheimer’s Association.

Daniels Family
Funeral Services
7601 Wyoming Blvd NE
Albuquerque, NM 87109

July 2017

Claude Hunter, Jr., Orlando, FL.

The handball community lost a great ambassador on July 23, 2017, when Claude Hunter, Jr., 82, went to be with the Lord.
Quite an athlete, Claude’s sports career started at Orlando High School as a runner, setting track records in the 100- and 200-meter dash.  He was the captain of every sports team he played on, including basketball and football, where he was a running back.  After graduation in 1952, he attended the University of Florida, joined Sigma Chi Fraternity, and became a life-long and die-hard Gators fan.
After moving back to Orlando, Claude opened his own business, Hunter Insurance Agency, which he ran until he retired. His many community activities included memberships in the South Orlando Kiwanis Club, Orlando Remembered, Regional History Center, Orlando Old Timers, Junior Chamber of Commerce, Miss Florida Pageant Board, Citizens Police Program, and the Downtown YMCA Board.
Even though he was a fierce competitor who loved the game of handball, Claude was always a gentleman on the court, known for his fairness and friendliness to everyone.  He donated his own money and time to help raise scholarship money for disadvantaged kids whose parents couldn’t afford a YMCA membership.  He often encouraged his fellow handball players to contribute, too.
For over 20 years Claude ran a handball tournament he founded at the Downtown Orlando YMCA.  At the tournaments, later re-named in Claude’s honor, he worked harder than anyone to organize, promote, and see to it that things ran smoothly.  One year as Claude and some of his buddies were outside grilling steaks (under a canopy in the rain) for the Saturday night dinner, they had the back door to the Y propped open, and smoke pouring in set off the fire alarm, followed by sirens, fire trucks, and firefighters.  Never a dull moment at one of Claude’s handball tournaments!  Even after being diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease, Claude continued to play handball until he was 79.
A large group of handball players from all over the state of Florida attended Claude’s funeral, where, in his honor, they wore shirts from his tournaments and sat in a section reserved for them.  The church was packed with friends and relatives.
A lifelong member of Downtown Baptist Church, Claude was loved by all who knew him, but especially by Gloria, his wife of 59 years.  He is survived by daughter Kimberly Chris Hunter, son Michael Claude Hunter, two grandchildren, Amy and Michael Alliman, brother Fred Copelan (Ann) Hunter, and several nieces, nephews, and cousins.  Claude will be sorely missed at the YMCA and around the handball courts.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to the Downtown Orlando YMCA Scholarship Fund and Downtown Orlando Baptist Church.   Read the obituary and sign the guestbook HERE.

May 2017

Don Davis, Silvis, Illinois

Don Davis was born Jan. 16, 1935 in Muscatine, the son of William and Elva Davis. He married Nancy Peters in 1955.  He graduated from Augustana College in Rock Island, Ill., and received his Masters degree from the Univ. of Iowa.  He taught social studies and coached football, baseball and basketball.  Don was inducted into the United Township High School Hall of Fame in 2007.

Don Davis was an avid handball player and was devoted to the sport.  I appreciate him teaching me how to play this wonderful game, and all the outstanding aspects the sport has to offer.  Thank you, Dad!!!

John Davis,
Bartlett, Ill.

Brian Clifford McCool, Huntington Beach, CA

McCool, Brian Clifford, born in Montreal, Canada, passed peacefully in Anaheim, CA on May 18, 2017.  Brian moved to Huntington Beach California from Montreal 50 years ago to embark on a new life with his young family.  Brian is survived by his loving wife of 58 years, Sandra (nee Stevens), his children Daniel, Donna (Mark), Wendy, Colleen (Bill), and Joseph (Catherine).  Brian was preceded in death by his brother, James McCool and is survived by his siblings Marlene Currie, Sharon, Patrick (Connie) and Kevin McCool (Kimm).  Brian will be dearly missed by his nine grandchildren, Alexandra, Piper, Kiya, Gabriella, Sara, Catie, Ciaran, Keeley , and Emily.  A memorial service and reception will be held on Saturday, June 17, 2017, at 1:00 p.m., at the Huntington Beach Senior Center at Central Park, 18041 Goldenwest Street,  Huntington Beach, CA.

Edward Broderick Dullea, Burlingame, CA

Dec 28, 1944 – May 11, 2017.  At rest after a brief illness, devoted husband of 36 years to his wife Nana, proud father of John, Jeff and Angela Dullea and cherished grandfather of Tyler and Jordan. Ed leaves behind his beloved brother and sister, Charles Dullea (Patti) and Mary Dullea, his nephew Sean (Karli) Mullane and nieces Kelly Mullane and Jennifer Dullea and great nephew Grant, mother in law Aida McCauley and brother in law Rick Rodriguez along with many other relatives and lifelong friends who will miss him dearly.

He will be reunited with his parents, the late Edward F. and Adele Broderick Dullea and his revered uncles Charles Dullea SJ and John Dullea SJ.

Ed was a proud native son of San Francisco and a graduate of St. Cecilia School, St. Ignatius and the University of San Francisco. After serving his country in the US Army, he followed in the footsteps of his legendary grandfather, SFPD Chief Charles W. Dullea and served with distinction in the SFPD for 31 years. Ed was a man of humor who truly enjoyed life and was most likely to be found on the handball court at the Olympic Club, South End Rowing Club and San Mateo Elks Club, riding his motorcycle, tinkering with a classic car or cheering on the SF Giants.

Friends and family may visit at 11am on Thursday May 18th followed by a Memorial Service at 12 noon all at Duggan’s Serra Mortuary 500 Westlake Avenue, Daly City. In lieu of flowers, your donation may be made to Pancreatic Cancer Research at California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, 475 Brannan Street, Suite 220, San Francisco, CA 94107 in his memory is appreciated.

April 2017

Calvin Mittman, Fresh Meadows, N.Y.

For those who may not be aware, my father (Calvin) passed away unexpectedly, on Monday, while he was at work at St. John’s University. The math professor, who when asked when he would retire, always responded that he would die doing what he loved — and that is what he did (he started as professor at SJU in 1962). My Dad always had a smile and was the “Rock of Gibraltar” for our family (Geni Baker, Adam Mittman and Linda Mittman) and beyond. All are in disbelief that he could possibly be gone.

I did so much with my Dad and he greatly influenced my desire to be a professor. Probably the only thing he can’t get credit for is handball. Despite him having won a national collegiate handball championship with RPI in the late 1950’s, my interest in handball happened entirely in spite of his many efforts. He was the best Dad ever and he will be forever missed. (My sister made me put in forever!!!!). – Scott Mittman

January 2017

Tom Cunningham, Boulder, Colo.

Tom Cunningham died at his home of natural causes on January 22. He was 68. Tom lived a rich and varied life, and leaves behind many close and lifelong friends. Tom was born in Oak Park, Illinois. As a result, he was an avid, but long-suffering Chicago sports fan. A visit with Tom would usually include the Cubs or Bears on a TV in the background. It wasn’t the Bears winning the Super Bowl in 1986, or the Bulls winning six championships in the 1990’s, it was when the Cubs won the World Series in 2016 that Tom felt Chicago sports had finally reached its potential! Tom graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in History from the University of Arizona and went on to receive his Master’s Degree in Public Health from the University of Illinois. He received a Fellowship and worked at Argonne National Laboratories before moving to Boulder in 1979. In Boulder, he worked with the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education and spent his later years as an avid investor and stock trader. Tom was a master handball competitor. He and various partners were Colorado doubles champions for many years, and he competed in numerous national tournaments. He was a great friend, and will be missed for his keen intelligence, sharp wit, and generous spirit.

I met Tom Cunningham at Pete Tyson’s Handball Camp in Steamboat Springs, Colorado back in 1987. Tom and I began a good friendship there, one that went beyond just our love of the game of handball and our Chicago roots. Both Tom and I had left Chicago in our 20’s, with him heading to the mountains of Boulder and me heading for the sun of Los Angeles. But we never lost our love for our Chicago sports teams, especially the Cubs. I’m especially glad that the Cubs won the World Series this year, for so many reasons – one of them being that Tom got to see them win a World Series in his lifetime. Because I found out last Sunday that Tom passed away that previous week. It’s a big loss for me and one that I’ve spent the week processing feelings about. Tom (who I called Gerald – long story) was a good friend of mine and someone who I visited often when I went to Colorado. I always stayed at the house in Boulder with Tom and his wife Nancy and I have great memories of time spent together. And Tom and I remained good friends all these years, even though his handball career ended years ago due to an array of injuries. Tom was a good handball player and a better friend. The players out in the Denver/Boulder area knew him well – not so much around the country, as he didn’t travel much to tournaments. But he loved the game, like so many of us do. And his passing is a loss to me. Safe travels, my friend. Colorado will never be the same for me. – Randy Multack, Bellevue, Was.

Fred Hepp Sr., Naples, FL

Fred H Hepp Sr. passed away Friday January 6, 2017 in the presence of his loving family. Fred was born December 18, 1934 to Eva and Herman Hepp in Chicago Illinois. He was predeceased by his parents, brothers Harold, Joe and sister Elaine, son Scottie, and wife Susie Darlene Hepp.Fred enlisted in the US Army in 1951 and was awarded the Bronze Medal during the Korean War winter conflict. He was honorably discharged April 1960.Fred is survived by his loving wife Marie Estelle Hepp; sister Helen; children, Ralph, Kathleen, Rebecca (Frank), Fred Jr.(Jackie) Kyle lll (Diane), Donald (Cindy), Bobby (Melanie). Many grandchildren, great-grandchildren, nieces and nephews. He had many close relatives and friends and was greatly loved by all.Fred owned and operated F.W. Kline & Sons, Inc. In Bellwood Illinois for 30 years. He was known in the Chicago area as “Mr. Dorcheck”. He enjoyed an early retirement and became a resident of Marco Island, Florida. He was honored by the White House in 1976 for his fine service to the Northwest Lions National Little League in Chicago. Leo Durocher also honored him for his contributions to little league. Fred was an avid handball player, golfer and traveler. He had an incredible zest for life.Fred’s celebration of life will be Saturday January 14. Woodlawn Funeral Home in Forest Park, Illinois. Private viewing for family members will be at 10 to 11 AM, with public visitation being from 11 AM until time of funeral service 12 Noon. Interment to follow at Woodlawn Cemetery. Donations may be made in Fred’s name to St.Jude’s Children’s Hospital or The Salvation Army. For further information please call (708) 442-8500 or visit