First Round Times for the 65th USHA National Collegiate Championships:
Sun Devil Handball Club at Arizona State University is proud to host the 65th USHA National Collegiate Handball Championships!
TEMPE, Ariz. -- The 65th USHA National Collegiate Handball Championships begin play this Wednesday, February 22 at the Sun Devil Fitness Complex. Due to some last minute changes, start times will be posted this afternoon on this page. Over 240 players from 35 different institutions will be competing in this exciting event. Play begins Wednesday at 2 p.m. Admission to watch is free! The Sun Devil Fitness Complex is located at: 400 E Apache Blvd, Tempe, AZ 85287.
Entry and Eligibility
- Thursday, February 2-Payment and entry forms
- Friday, February 3-Player seeding information
- Friday, February 10-Verification letters
- Monday, February 13-First draft sent to coaches
- Wednesday, February 15 (5 pm eastern)-First challenges
- Thursday, February 16-Second drafts sent to coaches
- Saturday, February 18 (5 pm eastern)-Final Challenges
- February 20-Final seedings posted on website
- February 22 (2 pm)-play may begin
- February 26-(12 pm)-play ends
- March 3-Articles due
- A Step-by-step Guide to Collegiate Tournament Seeding HERE.
- On-line forms: WOMEN, MEN
- Please take a look at the Skill Levels Document before completing the online or mail back forms. We hope to not just a ranking of players on your team but a sense of their skills and how they compare to other players on your team. When combined with last years results we will create our first draft.
- Challenges policy-First round challenges do not require any written reason. A written reason for challenges in the second round will require a written reason.
- Returning player seeding policy-Players will be seeded above where they finished in the previous years unless they zero-pointed in the previous year. Requests to a seed below where they finished must be in writing and include the reason for the request.
2016 National Collegiate Results HERE.
The new naming conventions will be broken into Open, A, B, and C Divisions for the men and women draws. Each Division will contain a number of brackets based upon the number of players in a division.
- Open Division – Open Bracket
- A Division – A1, A2, A3 Brackets
- B Division – B1, B2, B3, Brackets
- C Division – C1, C2, C3 Brackets
- Open Division– Open Bracket
- A Division – A1, A2 Brackets
- B Division – B1, B2 Brackets
- C Division - C Bracket
To categorize teams for Open, A, or B team titles, you would take the AVERAGE of the players’ seeds. For the 2015 men’s draw, to find the three Divisions you would divide the total number of entrants by 3, e.g. 162 entrants / 3 = 54.
- Open Division up to 54
- A Division 55 – 108
- B Division 109 - 162
To qualify for a team title, a school would still need to have a minimum of three players in a gender. Points would be calculated exactly how they were in 2015. The schools would have been divided as follows in the Men’s 2015 tournament using this method.
- Wall chart-Draws will be posted on the wall in a diamond shape to reflect where players move to as the players either win or lose in the first two rounds.
- Women's Divisions (template)
- Men's Divisions (template)
- Location: Lunches will be in the "Large Classroom" which is on the second floor. Go up the stairs near court 1. The Large Classroom is straight in front of you across the hall.
- Times: Thursday, Friday and Saturday, Noon-2:15 p.m.
- Location: Green Gym (located on the first floor between courts 3 & 4).
- Time: Saturday, (Feb. 25) 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
- Location: Sun Devil Fitness Complex-Well Devil Suite (first floor)
- Times: Wednesday (12:30 pm), Saturday (3:30 or 4:00 pm)
- Agendas: Wednesday-(meet and greet/tournament information), Saturday- (awards, articles, election, governance)
- All Tournament: (semi and finalist Open division both genders)
- All American: Top-4 (or more in case of tie) American players in top 16 Singles or finalists of Open Doubles
- Sportsmanship: (both genders)
- Most Improved Player: (both genders based on 2016 finish/2017 finish)